Monday, May 01, 2006

a dull or passionate existance, you choose.

Sylvia Ashton-Warner, a teacher from New Zealand, started an amazing organic reading program. She has recorded many observations in her books, about both teaching and life. I chose to share this particular one about passion - an emotion necessary to make life worth living.

"A woman said to me once so proudly, 'My family never quarrels.' I was young at the time and our children were young and I thought, 'How wonderful! If only I could say that.' But I'm not young now and I know better. When I look back I remember their passivity; the slow eyes that did not flash; on the parents' faces, no grooves that tears had scoured. I know now that it takes passion and energy to make a quarrel... of the magnificent sort. Magnificent rows, magnificent reconciliations; the surging and soaring of magnificent feeling."


No comments: